Weeks before the move.
- Call for estimates from three professional movers.
- Draw a floor plan of your new home. Use the decorating charts and grid to place furniture to scale in each room and decide which furniture to move, which to dispose of and which to replace or add.
- Call Chamber of Commerce in your new town for their “residential information packet.”
6 Weeks before the move.
- Inventory all possessions now. Decide what to move, sell, replace or donate to charity.
- Complete postal change of address forms; mail to media, stores, organizations.
- Obtain copies of all medical, dental, legal, accounting, veterinarian records.
- Make arrangements for record transfers between schools on both ends of the move.
- Ask tax advisor to review your potential moving related tax deductions and potential tax liability.
- Itemize moving related costs with mover including packing, loading, special charges, insurance, etc.
4 Weeks before the move.
- Repair, send out for reupholstery, or clean furniture, drapes, carpeting as necessary.
- Advertise a garage/yard/tag sale to dispose of unneeded furniture, accessories, clothes, etc.
- If a professional mover is packing your goods, schedule packing day(s) one or two days before the move.
- If you move yourself, order adequate boxes, packing materials and tape now.
- Arrange for short-term or long-term storage if you will need it.
- Make travel arrangements for pets, including necessary medical records, immunizations, etc.
3 Weeks before the move.
- Assemble sufficient supply of packing materials, equipment.
- Pack items you won’t use immediately or that will go into storage.
- Contact utilities on both ends of the move, order termination or turn-on for occupancy date.
- Confirm final travel arrangements for family and pets.
2 Weeks before the move.
- Prepare auto(s) for trip to new home. Check tires and have car(s) serviced before the move.
- Terminate newspaper and other delivery services.
- Confirm new bank accounts by phone or fax.
- Schedule an appliance service firm for moving day to prepare major appliances for the move.
1 Week before the move.
- Gather important papers, records, valuables, for protected shipment to new home or safe deposit box.
- Notify friends and neighbors of new address, (and phone number if possible).
- Make plans for young children to be cared for on moving day.
- Fill any necessary prescriptions, medications needed for the next two weeks.
Week of the move.
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer. Give away all food in both units.
- Plan simple meals for moving day (or take out food) to avoid using the refrigerator.
- Pick up cash for your trip and a certified check for the mover’s invoice.
- Pack items you need to take with you including valuables, financial records, personal papers.
- Pack signed bill of lading and inventory where they can be easily reached at your destination.
- Carefully mark LAST BOX PACKED-FIRST BOX UNPACKED containing tools, flashlights, etc.
- Give the mover a telephone number and address where you can be reached in your new town.